June 30, 2022

Over The Limit Entertainment

Top Stories, World News, Daily News Updates

Tories asked to withdraw letters of no-confidence against Boris Johnson

2 min read

Tory rebels urged to withdraw letters of no confidence as leaders 'not ready'

Plans to oust Boris Johnson from Downing Street have fallen into chaos (Picture: Getty)

Rebel Tories have been told to withdraw their no-confidence letters Boris Johnson fears a leadership challenge could begin before his potential successor is ready.

A Conservative MP hoping to oust Johnson is reportedly encouraging aides to withdraw their letters to avoid triggering a vote ‘by accident’ on Monday or Tuesday.

To trigger a vote of confidence, 54 letters from Conservative MPs must be presented to Sir Graham Brady, the chairman of the 1922 committee.

More than 45 lawmakers have publicly criticized Mr Johnson in the wake of the Partygate scandal and the publication of the Sue Grey report.

But it is not known how many letters have actually been handed over to Sir Graham so far. This figure will be made public only when the limit is crossed.

The speed of the reaction against the prime minister has surprised lawmakers and poorly orchestrated plans for the rebellion, The Guardian reports.

Some lawmakers have reportedly told the paper they plan to submit a letter to a vote on Mr Johnson’s leadership on Monday.

They are reportedly on hold until the Queen’s platinum jubilee celebrations are overshadowed, which will conclude on Sunday.

54 letters of no confidence are needed to trigger a vote of confidence in Mr Johnson (Picture: WPA Pool / Getty Images)

However, those plotting his downfall are reportedly also opined that when the best time to vote is, some concerned-heiress has the necessary skills to defeat Mr Johnson in a leadership challenge. There is not enough time to collect 180 votes.

Some Tory rebels fear that if the vote is called too early and Mr Johnson wins, he will refuse to step down and be safe for another year, Guardian Report.

The lawmakers have reportedly told the newspaper that it would be better to wait until after the two by-elections to be held on June 23 to get an idea of ​​the public mood.

A source said the successors were ‘all too scared’ due to the cabinet being ‘wrapped around’ [the PM’s] finger’.

While others are reportedly disappointed that the campaign to oust Mr Johnson has dragged on for months.

Several names have been cited as a potential challenger to Mr Johnson.

On Wednesday, the Times reported that the rebel MPs had held discussions with Trade Minister Penny Mordant.

Others are said to support former health secretary Jeremy Hunt and foreign affairs select committee chairman Tom Tugendhat.

While Foreign Secretary Liz Truss and Defense Secretary Ben Wallace are also seen in the running from the cabinet.

Contact our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more such stories, Check Out Our News Page,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.