July 4, 2022

Over The Limit Entertainment

Top Stories, World News, Daily News Updates

The lawsuit against Derek Chauvin raises allegations against George Floyd

2 min read

Two lawsuits have been filed against Derek Chauvin, claiming he used excessive force similar to the murder of George Floyd on two Minneapolis residents in 2017. (Picture: Fox9/AP)

Two Minneapolis residents filed federal civil rights lawsuits Tuesday against Derek Chauvin, a former police officer convicted of killing George Floyd, alleging he used excessive force similar to the murder of Floyd.

John Pope Jr. and Zoya Code allege that Chauvin knelt on both of their necks in 2017, similar to how the former cop killed George Floyd, are facing separate lawsuits.

Pope was 14 when he says Chauvin subjected him to unnecessary force when responding to reports of domestic unrest. When Chauvin arrived he entered the Pope’s bedroom, where Pope was lying on the ground using his cellphone.

The trial alleges, ‘Chouvin ran up to the Pope and hit him on the head several times with a large torch,’ and ‘put the Pope on the floor with his knee, the same tactic he used on George Floyd.

Other cases allege that Chauvin used excessive force against the code when he allegedly tried to strangle his mother with an extension cord. Chauvin was alleged to have slammed his head on the ground and placed his knee on the back of his neck.

Both Pope and Cod are black, while Chauvin is white. Both lawsuits claim racism and civil rights violations. They also claim that the city knew he had a record of misconduct, but never stopped him, allowing him to stay at work until he killed Floyd in 2020.

Floyd was a 46-year-old black man who was suspected of using a counterfeit bill. He was killed in May 2020 when Chauvin knelt on his neck, as seen by three other officers.

Videos of the gruesome death sparked nationwide protests. Chauvin was sentenced last year to 22-1/2 years in prison after pleading guilty to a murder charge. He also pleaded guilty in federal court to charges of violating Floyd’s civil rights.

Criminal charges against both Pope and Code were eventually dropped. His lawsuit also named the city of Minneapolis as a defendant.

The incidents involving John Pope and Zoya Code are disturbing. The Minneapolis City Attorney’s office said, “We intend to proceed in negotiations with the plaintiffs on these two cases and hope that we can reach an appropriate resolution.”

Contact our news team by emailing us [email protected]

For more such stories, Check Out Our News Page,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.